Best Ways to Fight with Boredom
Here are the 6 Ways to Combat Boredom
1. Surround yourself with “do-ers”. Boredom is addictive, and when we surround ourselves with people who are trapped in mindless activity we tend to get pulled into living like that, too. Look at what those around you are doing – and look for people who are doing meaningful and worthwhile things. Start to surround yourself with those types of people instead.
2. If you’re feeling bored while you’re studying, try to switch between reading and writing. This allows you to absorb information, and then to engage a different part of your brain. Doing that, will help you to maintain interest and focus so it’s easier to take the information in.
3. Recognize it and sit with it. The first thing you need to do when boredom surfaces is to become aware of it. Stay with the feelings of boredom for the moment – don’t rush to engage in pointless busyness. Instead, allow yourself to discover what you would really like to do, and what you think is missing from your life.
4. Be irrational. A central reason why boredom has become so common in our culture is that people have become too “rational”. Too much planning, thinking, contemplating, and so on can end up being boring in the end. So doing something crazy and spontaneous can help you to feel more alive again (but make sure it’s safe and won’t be a source of grief!)
5. Connect with good friends. Catching up with friends, and especially old friends, can help to change our mood and reignite our zest for life.
6. Get out and play. Go outside and do something – or simply look around. In fact, just breathing in fresh air can help you feel alive.
Image Source: http://www.sxc.hu/photo/1094299